Dungeons of Dork - FREE GAME, written in Python

A place to discuss what really matters ... or in this case, software development!
JCB
Site Admin

Dungeons of Dork - FREE GAME, written in Python

Post by JCB »

In early 2021, I taught a group of students how to design, develop and build an old-school text-based role-playing game using a chatbot. It was an interesting project because chatbots aren't meant to be used that way, so in essence, it was more about seeing if we could develop creative solutions to work around the inevitable problems. We did, and 'Dungeons of Dork' was the result.

Fast-forward to mid-2021 and I was looking for an excuse to practice some Python Pandas programming and so I decided to port 'DoD' into Python 🐍 (The core data in the game is stored in spreadsheets so Pandas made sense.) I also decided to make the entire process (as before,) public and open for review and commentary. Unlike chatbots that as yet, do not have any way to integrate natively with GitHub's code repository, my Python IDE, PyCharm, does!

This brings me to now. The game http://DungeonsofDork.com is available on GitHub and you are free to copy, use and general hack about to see what I'm up to. The game is currently a work in progress, however, when it's finished I will update this post. Until then, enjoy and feel free to ask me anything here (you will need to register to post/reply etc.)

J
- JCB -
JCB
Site Admin

Re: Dungeons of Dork - FREE GAME, written in Python

Post by JCB »

I hate it when I can't sleep ... but it's worse when the reason I can't sleep is because my brain is so excited, it wants to 'work' on a program's codebase. Such was last night for me. From the early hours today, my brain has been working through a new function for the http://DungeonsofDork.com game. This time, it's a clean way to handle the command line input and then call functions ... it's a toss-up between a typical "switch" stack or a dictionary of commands plus function pointers! OH MY 😳
- JCB -